[MPlayer-dev-eng] The GUI and the configuration files

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Mon Apr 25 17:46:20 CEST 2011

Hi

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > Though what do you mean by "explicitly"?
> >
> > I'm thinking of adding a "save" button to "ok" and "cancel" (and asking after
> > pressing just "ok" whether it should be stored or only used temporarily).
> > This is how I'd like settings - preserved until I explicitly allow a change.
>
> Hm. I tend to find those kind of question rather annoying with all the clicking,
> but then that's probably the reason I avoid GUIs in general.

  +1 ;)

> Only adding a "save" button seems like a rather bad idea, it's too easy to
> forget to click.
> I guess having ok, cancel and save & close might work, but I don't really
> have a clue about GUI design.

  I think leaving out the OK button and having "cancel", "apply and save
settings", and "apply settings" might work a bit better. Don't be so
exact about the wording I just made these up in a few seconds. What I am
trying to say is it might be better to avoid a choice labeled OK in this
situation. I have seen this technique show up several times in lots of
different GUI application and it works for me in the sense that I don't
just thoughtlessly click OK (implicitly assuming it means what I want it
to do).

  Alexander