[MPlayer-dev-eng] Leaving the project

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:33:43 CEST 2011

On 4/14/11, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:45:55 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>

>> > did you send your svn list question to root at mphq ? i dont think anyone
>> > is reading -dev-eng .
>>
>> yes i CCed them, no reply
>
> Do i read that correctly that you are expecting us to respond to your
> request within 3 hours. And that you consider not getting an answer within
> this time frame as no answer at all?
>
> If not, you should work on your formulation, otherwise nobody will
> stay around you in the near future.
>
>> > did the shipping costs get estimated for the entire server?
>>
>> with urgent delivery (1-3 days) its 300-400CHF if my guess of 25kg
>
> The server is most likely heavier than 30kg.
> And dont forget the cost of getting the server out of the colo center
> and packaging it. As i dont have time, it will most probably be
> the provider of the rack space who will have to do it.

I will try to me maximally constructive, even if I find it hard not to flame.
Some of the questions apply to both roots of MPlayer project.

Right now we have 2 major goals.

1. Preserving all the data on the mphq2/natsuki
2. Relocation on mphq2.

About 1.
1.1. We need to know what backup solution are been provided.
1.2. We need your guarantee that you won't destroy any data on the
server. Either on purpose or accidentally. This includes data of other
projects like ffmpeg/libav.
1.3. We need to be sure that we will be able to get all the data in
one form or another.
1.3.1. By delivering of backup drives separately.
1.3.2. By rsync-ing of files that cannot be recovered. (We are aware
that there are bandwidth limitations so transferring all the data over
internet is not recommended.)
1.4. Providing the most critical data- repositories, archives,
subscribers, svn/mailman passwords, etc  before the move.

I think that immediately providing root access for our new/old hoster
(Arpi) would be quite useful. Providing some explanation about the
setup too (hardware and software).
You don't have to provide the info here, better find a way to talk directly.

About 2.
2.1. You need to provide at least some raw estimate about the
expenses. You should be keeping the documents from the old delivery,
you can get the weight from there.
2.2. Picking up a delivery service that won't trash the server. I've
read horror stories about FedEx.
2.3. In the past mphq2 had to be moved to Hungary and I remember
having some major problems with paper work, invoices, taxes or some
other legalize.
We may still need your help on that too.
2.4. Make sure the server is sent to the correct location (and/or person).

Overall.

We will need your active cooperation in this . To the extent of you
taking few days  vacation from you job, It is one time emergency. We
will never bother you again after that.
If  you can't find the time, then we expect you to prolong the deadline.

[flame]
I hope you are not passively sabotaging the project, dragging feet
with the hope to blame other for not meeting your deadline.
I hope you are not actively trying to take revenge on everybody.
In case you wonder why we ignored your first proposition to transfer
the server - your proposition subtly failed to mention/include the
data on it. Waiting to calm down seemed wiser.
[/flame]