[MPlayer-dev-eng] Leaving the project

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sun Apr 10 02:59:15 CEST 2011

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:09:10 +0200, Arpi wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> Gr_ezi,
>>
>> I got a mail from a certain project leader, claiming to be backed
>> up by MPlayer developers, containing legal threats that border on duress.
>>
>> Although I got used to get such threats from companies who thought
>> they could stop the development of a codec by intimidation, I am
>> definitely not used to getting such mails from project members,
>> much less from people I once considered to be friends.
>>
>> In order to protect myself from getting drawn into a pointless
>> legal battle between grown up men who behave like children
>> in a sandbox fight, I decided to leave the MPlayer project.
>>
>> Thus I will stop providing any service to MPlayer from
>> Monday 18.4.2011 12:00 CEST on. This means, that I will disable
>> all services running on my private machines by then and will
>> shut down natsuki, the main server of MPlayer. The machine is
>> running under my name, with rackspace and bandwidth donated as
>> a personal favor to me. Please migrate all services you still
>> need to somewhere else by then.
>>
>> My offer to ship natsuki to anyone who has a claim on it still
>> holds, given that packaging and shipping (including service time)
>> is being paid upfront. In case nobody claims natsuki in three
>> months time, I will take this as that nobody has a interest in this
>> old machine and will donate it to the local linux user group.
>
>what kind of box is that? how old, cpu, ram hdd etc...
>about how much it would cost to ship that to budapest?
>(i offer hosting it here, if nobody else has such offer)

shipping cost could be reimbursed by ffmtech foundation. it would be
nice of them to do that. someone please submit a proposal to
ffmpeg-legal for me. also i hope you guys can agree on a new host for
ffmpeg-legal. there might be more lists or services that i am
forgetting about.

@arpi: thanks for offering to host ffmpeg and mplayer. is there any
chance you will also host rtmpdump - http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu ? its
hosted on natsuki but not listed in the mplayer shutdown mail, so i'm
a bit confused as to what is going to happen to it. i will mail
root at mphq and see what its future is.

-compn