[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make Mplayer and Xscreensaver play nice together

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Apr 10 00:01:31 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:42:36AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> Reimar,
> http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/xdg-screensaver.html
>
> It is kind of similar to the heartbeat method and probably the code
> could be reused.
> Not sure about passing the window id parameter (and how it would
> handle the case when we have (no)fixed-vo).

We can probably move the saver_off call into vo_x11_create_vo_window
instead of having it in vo_init.
However there are several important questions:
1) Does it actually work? If e.g. it only works with gnome-screensaver
   and nothing else, what is the point?
2) Does it work reliably? This also includes race conditions like we
   call this program and do not wait for completion and destroy the
   window, what happens (we'd probably use system and do wait for
   completion, but still).
3) What will most likely happen if MPlayer crashes? Will it possibly
   cause worse behaviour for screensavers that support XResetScreenSaver?