[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make Mplayer and Xscreensaver play nice together

Boni Xavier bonixavier at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 20:02:15 CEST 2011

A proper integration between Xscreensaver and Mplayer is necessary.
heartbeat-cmd doesn't work well. All the time it runs, there's a lag in the
movie being played. The disable-xscreensaver option works perfectly in KDE,
but I don't use KDE. I use Fluxbox. Mplayer is the best video player I've
ever seen and Xscreensaver is a very nice program. You guys should find a
way to make the two work together.

Mplayer's manual page accuses Xscreensaver of not supporting proper X API.
http://img641.imageshack.us/i/manmplayer.jpg/
All that Xscreensaver's FAQ does is to reinforce the heartbeat-cmd solution.
http://img811.imageshack.us/i/xscreenfaq.jpg/

I don't want to watch laggy movies because you guys don't want to play nice
with each other. I've been using xscreensaver-command -exit before playing
my movies, but I often go to bed while watching boring stuff so I have to
stand my PC not suspending overnight because I fell asleep and didn't turn
xscreensaver back on.

Unfortunately, I don't code, otherwise I'd be sending a patch right now.
Instead, I'm sending this mail to both the xscreensaver's bug reports
e-mail  address and the mplayer's developers mailing list because I think
you are the ones capable of fixing this.

FWIW, I'm using Slackware 13.37 RC 4.6692. My Mplayer was built using the
code from 12/18/2010. Package name is  MPlayer-20101218-x86_64-1.txz My
Xscreensaver is version 5.12. Regarding the laggy video, I have an NVIDIA
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and use the binary blob.

I believe the xscreensaver folks have access to this mailing list. In case
you don't, let me know and I'll make sure to forward to you all the messages
of this thread to a convenient e-mail address. Thank you folks.

Boni