[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Nov 24 01:00:34 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 12:03:33AM +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
> Of course I don't want to impose my opinion, but since DxVA 1 +
> overlay is in the requirements I have, eventually non-readback
> implementation will be needed anyway (DxVA 1 doesn't support
> readback).

Well, in principle, since DXVA 2 seems currently unusable with
composition and you can use DXVA 2 via the DXVA 1 API it might
be possible to start with the DXVA 1 implementation first.

> > Uh, from my opinion that makes that "DXVA does not work. Let's forget
> > about it". But I guess I am just a bit allergic against crappy products
> > lately.
>
> Laurent said that 1080p on GMA500 works fine in XP/DxVA 1/MPC-HC and
> Linux/MPlayer/VAAPI, which means that the GPU itself is capable and we
> have enough memory bandwidth as well.

I done badly, desktop composition doubles the memory bandwidth.
I guess Vista vs. Win 7 could make quite a difference there, they
changed where/how the composition images are stored between those.

> Before I receive the h/w, I can start implementing the EVR, I guess.
> The h/w will consist of Atom + GMA500, Atom + nVidia ION (I think) +
> PCI-E Geforce for development on my computer.
>
> I will have plenty of configurations to develop and test DxVA on.

Well, for a general implementation you actually miss an ATI/AMD test
system, they certainly seem to have their share of vendor-specific bugs
(well, despite their insistence to the contrary that has always been
ATI's speciality).

> So, I want to start from this Thursday. What would you suggest as a
> starting point? I will download the latest tree, will compile it and
> will fork the D3D renderer, create a new libvo renderer from it and
> start with EVR implementation specifics.

I have no idea how up-to-date and/or working the D3D renderer is,
it has been essentially unmaintained.
Since you're familiar with it it's probably a good idea to start
with it anyway, otherwise vo_gl is always the reference though.