[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Nov 21 19:03:31 CET 2010

Hi.

Le decadi 30 brumaire, an CCXIX, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> Yes, but I warn you, I will not agree with
> 1) yet another approach for rendering subtitles
> 2) duplicating code from existing VOs
>
> We intend to do changes to the subtitle rendering to make it support
> more things (like RGBA subtitles) and the 4 different implementations
> we already have are at least 2 too much, I will not accept yet another
> one (of course some parts must be reimplemented for each VO, but these
> parts must be minimal).

I think I ought to say a few words here. I have been quiet last few weeks,
as I have other obligations that take me a lot of time, bit I am not
quitting working on the subtitle system.

Last summer, I had a proof-of-concept patch that rendered the OSD (old
subtitles system) through the EOSD renderer (new subtitles system). With the
new API, it would be possible to make a working, usable version of this
patch. That way, a new VO could either rely on vf_ass to do the overlay, or
just implement the EOSD renderer.

To do that, at a first glance, would require to register an EOSD source near
the calls to eosd_init and eosd_ass_init. The update function of this source
would then look a lot like vo_gl:draw_osd, with the draw_alpha function from
the proof-of-concept patch.

I do not know when I will have time to try to implement that though.

There is still the question of whether the OSD bitmaps are supposed to be in
premultiplied alpha or not, though, but this is quite secondary.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George