[MPlayer-dev-eng] what happened to the blu-ray support

Benjamin Zores ben at geexbox.org
Sun Jun 27 00:13:52 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Alexander Roalter <alex at roalter.it> wrote:
> Ages ago (it seems) there was a patch by Jonathan Nell that enabled
> basic blu-ray playback from the medium with a known VUK., but I just
> wanted to know the status. I was able to plug in the patch in the first
> place with almost no changes to the current svn, and was able to play my
> 2001 space odyssey BD with it (since the key is known).

There were a lot of different patches and revisions for BD support actually.
Some were using the now called libbluray, other were using some proprietary libs
and some patches used to work, were reformatted and then never worked
ever again.

So would you mind being more specific (or resend) the patch you're
referring to ?
AFAICT, work is being done in libbluray and while there's no release
yet, this might probably be the way to go for proper BD support.

Though from what I've seen in the library a few months ago, the API
was kinda shitty.
Also it doesn't export any public header so one has to declare
external prototypes and dlopen() symbols
which is really really ugly to me.

Also I know that libbluray is far from being released but authors
(currently hold on VideoLAN's SVN, dunno if lib maintainers are VLC
authors actually, but I guess not) do hide the sources by purpose,
which makes it very hard to help and contribute.

Ben