[MPlayer-dev-eng] ivtv cvidix support was removed in configure-script

Martin Dauskardt martin.dauskardt at gmx.de
Sun Jan 24 20:15:53 CET 2010

Am Dienstag, 5. Januar 2010 12:12:56 schrieb Diego Biurrun:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:34:07AM +0100, Martin Dauskardt wrote:

> > > Are you sure these links are correct?  I'm highly confused.
> >
> > it was Attila who had the compile problems.
> >
> > I refer to your workaround
> > http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cvslog/2009-July/037273.html
> >
> > This disabled building the ivtv cvidix driver by default, and so it is
> > not included in any distribution.
> >
> > Maybe it is sufficient to change the includes in ivtv_vid.c from
> >
> > #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,22)
> > #include <linux/videodev2.h>
> > #endif
> > #include <linux/ivtv.h>

> > #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,22)
> > #include <linux/videodev2.h>
> > #endif
> > #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,24)
> > #include <linux/ivtv.h>
> > #endif
> >
> > But I think this would also break compilation if ivtv.h is not included.
> > But the same would happen if videodev2.h is not present.
>
> Could you write a configure check that looks for the necessary headers?
> It seems you can actually test this code.  I will then adapt and commit.
>
> Diego

I changed the mplayer configure script (see attached patch).
 Now we only compile the ivtv cvidix driver if a cc_check has verified that
-we have the needed include files
-the include files are not too old

This alone could again lead to compile problems, because ivtv_vid.c contains
code for both the old ivtv API (before 2007) and the new API. The current code
checks for the LINUX_VERSION_CODE, which is a bad idea.
To be able to compile the code with the old ivtv API we would need a
/usr/include/linux/ivtv.h from pre-2007. There is already a check for this in
the configure script ("IVTV TV-Out pre linux-2.6.24"), but this check is done
after the cvidix check. Even if we would place it earlier: I have no idea how
to use the result of the configure check inside ivtv_vid.c

Since the old ivtv API is "dead" since 2007, I think it is the time now to
remove the old API code, which makes things much easier (see patch).

Greets,
Martin