[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] include dshow, ddraw, dinput headers

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Jan 20 20:00:54 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:06:06PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 09:28:19PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> > > I'm not terribly fond of this, much of osdep I consider a mistake.
> > >
> > > IIRC we already require installing DirectX headers on Windows, so why
> > > not require installing a few extra headers?
> >
> > We don't require any, MPlayer compiles on a fresh MinGW.
>
> Yes, but we require installing some headers for DirectX, right?
>
> So why don't we add another package with these headers?

Ah, that's the misunderstanding.
We have
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/contrib/win32/dx7headers.tgz
But the are compressed almost 200 kB, and they include a lot of stuff
we don't need and actually conflict with MinGW headers (e.g. d3d.h does).
For MPlayer, the above ddraw.h and dsound.h provide exactly the same
functionality (dinput.h is only for SDL).
Not reading the documentation as usual, I always have a hard time finding
that dx7headers file even if I want to use it, so I wanted to have everything
in a more convenient place.
Is my motivation now a bit clearer?

> > I just think having system headers that are licensed as (L)GPL would be quite
> > unusual and possibly not welcome in the MinGW project.
>
> Isn't MinGW GPL?  What license do they use for those headers?

No idea, found no information on that.