[MPlayer-dev-eng] [TEST-REQUEST] let window manager do placing by default

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Feb 3 23:03:40 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:18:37PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 21:33 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 08:16:42PM +0100, Sebastian Krämer wrote:
> > > From a quick test my impression was that the unpatched mplayer always
> > > opened the video window centered, while the patched version placed the
> > > window randomly, sometimes parts of the window were off screen.
> >
> > That's exactly what happens when you allow the window manager to place
> > the window - and the reason why I refused to make MPlayer respect
> > window manager placement before.
>
> There is a difference between giving default placement hints and
> overriding the window manager by forcefully moving the window. The
> latter is the really nasty part of MPlayer's former behavior but your
> patch also drops the former.

The idea is that without -geometry there is not really any special
placement to hint at.
Sure we could set it to the center as we have done so far, I just don't
think there's a particularly convincing argument for it.
However I do know this patch cuts quite a few corners, which is why I want
it tested so I can decide if it's worth trying to fix it better (or just
differently).