[MPlayer-dev-eng] x264 dimensions not set / float point exception

Joseph Miller josephcmiller2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:40:58 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Adam M. Costello
<mplayer-dev-eng.amc+s0+ at nicemice.net> wrote:
> compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> if you arent doing anything with subtitles its probably a better idea
>> to just dump mencoder and use ffmpeg.
>
> Last time I looked (a couple years ago) ffmpeg did not allow nearly
> as much control over libx264 options as mencoder did, and ffmpeg did
> not respect libx264's default values for those options, while mencoder
> did.  At the time, I concluded that ffmpeg was useless for doing H.264
> compression.  Has ffmpeg improved in this regard?

ffmpeg provides this list of options in its placebo preset for x264
encoding.  It doesn't include all of the options, but quite a few.  It
is missing the aq_mode and psy (which are referenced in the mencoder
man page for psnr tuning).

coder=1
flags=+loop
cmp=+chroma
partitions=+parti8x8+parti4x4+partp8x8+partp4x4+partb8x8
me_method=tesa
subq=10
me_range=24
g=250
keyint_min=25
sc_threshold=40
i_qfactor=0.71
b_strategy=2
qcomp=0.6
qmin=10
qmax=51
qdiff=4
bf=16
refs=16
directpred=3
trellis=2
flags2=+bpyramid+mixed_refs+wpred+dct8x8-fastpskip
wpredp=2
rc_lookahead=60