[MPlayer-dev-eng] a patch to show Chinese characters correctly in terminal

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 11:18:17 CEST 2010

Hi,

sorry for my previous message. It was far too long. Anyway I had a
fast look at the ID3v2.4 spec ( http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-structure
) and it appears that only ISO-8859-1, UTF-16 and UTF-8 are allowed
(and they can be differentiated with a BOM or termination bytes):

« Possible encodings:

     $00   ISO-8859-1 [ISO-8859-1]. Terminated with $00.
     $01   UTF-16 [UTF-16] encoded Unicode [UNICODE] with BOM. All
           strings in the same frame SHALL have the same byteorder.
           Terminated with $00 00.
     $02   UTF-16BE [UTF-16] encoded Unicode [UNICODE] without BOM.
           Terminated with $00 00.
     $03   UTF-8 [UTF-8] encoded Unicode [UNICODE]. Terminated with $00. »

So if a mp3 file uses another codeset, then the media file is bugged
and according to me, this should not be the role of mplayer to work
around bugged files (especially when it seems impossible, cf. last
email).

As for vorbis comments ( http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html
), they ar UTF-8 only:

« Field names should not be 'internationalized'; this is a concession
to simplicity not an attempt to exclude the majority of the world that
doesn't speak English. Field contents, however, use the UTF-8
character encoding to allow easy representation of any language. »

I have not looked other specs for other media format...
Bye.

Jehan