[MPlayer-dev-eng] A question about hardware color space conversion and scaling support in MPlayer

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sat Sep 12 15:53:37 CEST 2009

On Friday 11 September 2009, Palash Bandyopadhyay wrote:

>   Currently I am able to play mpeg2/4 video using mplayer on the
> device. MPlayer uses the software CSC and Scaler. How do I go about
> adding hardware support for the CSC and Scaler so that MPlayer uses
> the hardware to do CSC and Scaling rather than software?
>
>   Are there any documentations or samples that could help me
> understand what needs to be done and how?

If you are using X, implementing Xv support would probably be the most
sensible.
If you don't have X, then you probably need to do a combination of
kernel driver and special driver in mplayer.

As for Samples, there's a vo driver for use with MPlayer on Nokia's
Internet Tablets (also ARM9, TI OMAP2), code here:
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/libvo/vo_nokia770.c?view=markup&root=mplayer&pathrev=343
This is a driver for an old version of MPlayer, it never got integrated
into main MPlayer, so it might not be the best example or up to date
anymore.

The kernel has a driver for omapfb in drivers/video/omap in the Linux
kernel source tree.