[MPlayer-dev-eng] aes & bluray

Jonathan Nell crtrn13 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 14:06:58 CEST 2009

2009/9/11 Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it>:

>> And why? I really think it is a mistake to do it there for CSS
>> already. The encryption part of CSS does not really depends on a
>> physical medium at all and could be used for any MPEG stream - if
>> it wasn't always implemented "at the wrong place".
>
> because different media could use different encryptions in the same
> mux format, think for example of dvd and hd-dvd: both use mpeg-ps as a
> container but with very different encryptions.
> Even though there's nothing stream-specific in the encryption method,
> as a matter of fact the media type (thus the stream) involves an
> encryption algorithm.

I tend to agree with this. The bluray (+ hd-dvd) crypto is based on
certain files in the filesystem too and need to know about directory
structure etc. I don't think it's a mistake to put it in the stream
layer at all. But if the consensus is to move it out later then that
can be done easily without basically and code change to the bluray
stream stuff.