[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bluray playback

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 8 20:32:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 08:27:53PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 01:55:09PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 07:57 +0300, Jonathan Nell wrote:
> > > do that. That would mean that no keys are needed (at least until AACS
> > > revokes the key). An alternative would be to actually buy a key legit
> > > (get one donated or cash donated somehow) - i'll look into the cost.
> >
> > I have no real information on which to base the following claim, but my
> > intuition tells me that's not going to be feasible.  Although if you
> > find out the cost, I'd be curious to hear it.
>
> For getting a key, you'd have to implement the DRM stuff, in particular
> make efforts to keep keys and data encrypted wherever possible and
> obfuscated wherever not possible. The later part is not really possible
> with OpenSource (and probably no possible while using X11 in general
> unless misusing the extension system).
> I'll not even start to mention -vo yuv4mpeg and -ao pcm or mencoder.

P.S. of course, if you have several million dollars too much you could
try to get one anyway and see if you would get through with a lawsuit
for abusing a monopoly to exclude OpenSource products, though against
such adversaries I wouldn't think there was much of a chance even if the legal
stuff was "clearly" on "your" side...