[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 09:43:01 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:46:48AM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:
> > And if you consider writing an application, I'd suggest considering
> > a more general solution, e.g. a program that inhibits the screensaver
> > based on the names of running applications, whether they are in the
> > foreground or visible at all, CPU usage, window content update activity
> > (if it is possible to get such information) or similar criteria.
> > Because from my point of view it seems not particularly reasonable that
> > every application has to instruct the screensaver how to behave instead
> > of it figuring out by itself what to do.
>
> Hm, so every flash animation (think ads), animated gif or similar stuff
> in some browser window has the potential to avoid the screensaver to be
> activated? Or any instant messanger, mail program or what not?

Uh, no, I didn't of course mean to implement it in the most stupid way
possible.
I assume that the application name would always be a criteria, and that
alone would be enough to get what MPlayer currently needs much effort to
offer.
Anything else would be for more advanced stuff like detecting paused
video or some such.

> I fear that monitoring application behavior is not an option for
> screensavers.

I think that's a bold claim since nobody seems to ever have made the
slightest try, and given how very limited most applications' screensaver
handling is.