[MPlayer-dev-eng] fixed-vo in VDPAU

Dani Church dani.church at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 18:50:28 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:49, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Only sometimes. There are times when you might want this behavior - for
> instance, what if only one of the files in your multi-file sequence
> needed the panscan adjustments?. I for one would be annoyed to have the
> option of getting this behavior taken away.

Personally, I'd think that if only one file in your sequence needed panscan
adjustments, you wouldn't use fixed-vo.  Every time I've used the option,
it's because I'm playing multiple files that are part of a single,
contiguous movie.  For example, DV camcorder captures that use multiple
files, or possibly a long movie that has been split into 700 MB segments.
 The documentation for fixed-vo says "only one window will be opened for all
files."  I would think, based on the standard user-interface paradigm, that
if I do something to a window (make it fullscreen, for example), then as
long as the application doesn't close the window it should respect my window
settings.

Compare it to how browser windows (especially popups) work.  The browser is
allowed to open new windows of a specified size to show a new page.  If the
user resizes the window (assuming this is allowed), then no matter how many
links the user follows in the new window, it will retain the resized
dimensions.  Some JS applications do break this paradigm, but it generally
just causes frustration for the user-- which is exactly the point.

Is there a valid, concrete use-case example for using fixed-vo and not
wanting to keep window settings?  I can't think of one, but I might be
missing something.

-Dani