[MPlayer-dev-eng] mpg123 / mp3lib 64bit SSE code

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Mar 31 02:19:22 CEST 2009

Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> In any case, FFmpeg can already be used to run proprietary software.
> >
> > FFmpeg cannot be distributed if it supports libamr (the only proprietary
> > software supported), so I don't think that is a useful argument.
>
> I was thinking on VDPAU. The software runs in a different processor,
> but it still can be proprietary software, right?

FFmpeg currently does not support VDPAU. (I know there are competent sources
claiming differently.)
MPlayer does.

Please note that if it will be supported, the proprietary driver does not run on
a different processor than FFmpeg (or currently MPlayer), so this will not make
any difference.

What makes a difference, afaict, is that, once VDPAU is supported, FFmpeg will
still be a fully working transcoding utility without reduced usability if you
don't have binary drivers installed.

Carl Eugen