[MPlayer-dev-eng] libass behavior when PlayResX & PlayResY are missing in ass subs

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Jan 14 17:23:31 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 11:10 -0500, Ergzay wrote:
> I know this topic is several months old, but something should be done
> about this. One of the biggest areas in which the full features of ssa/
> ass fonts are used is in Anime/Japanese softsubs. The groups that do
> these often use the full features of SSA and expect that PlayResX and
> PlayResY if not defined, default to the current resolution of the
> video. In fact I've gone and asked groups that release subs without
> these that their files are bugged and when I say that I'm using
> MPlayer they say that this is a known MPlayer bug. If not changing the

Do you have such samples? I've seen samples that break if you assume the
script to use video dimensions instead of the default resolution, but
not samples that behave as you describe.

Such behavior does not seem very desirable either, as it would make the
script break if used with a different resolution encode of the same
program.

> Also I have to ask what does ssa subs have to do with vobsubs? They

I think VSFilter was meant where the previous messages said Vobsub.