[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GSoC ?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Feb 25 14:43:11 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:01:23PM +0200, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> Eric Appleman wrote:
> > Attila Kinali wrote:
> >> A recent discussion on IRC brought up the idea that MPlayer could
> >> participate with GSoC this year and get some of the longer outstanding
> >> stuff fixed.

That would depend on someone mentoring.

> >> One idea for a project was to finaly fix the GUI (ie remove the old
> >> and replace it with a new one).
> >>
> >> Do you have any other ideas for projects or comments?

Mencoder overhaul (not sure about details, thus probably a bad idea),
libavfilter support (since libavfilter is not yet in FFmpeg, this is
questionable as well). Most other stuff is too similar to the libswscale
cleanup project, and IMO would be very likely to have the same result.

> > As I understand it, the MPlayer GUI has been killed off in the
> > mplayer-mt git branch. I'm not sure if a MPlayer-G2-esque revamp of the
> > GUI, let alone the core, is really in the cards anymore.
> >
> > In my opinion, there's really little need for a built-in GUI, except
> > for  perhaps "completeness", when amazing frontends like SMPlayer exist.
> >
> Ok.. since I use the really ugly mplayer built-in because it's easy..
> What about the idea of merging smplayer with mplayer.. pulling the
> existing gui and profit?  If the smplayer author/maintainers are on this
> list. maybe they can comment?

I have sever issues with the idea of a Gui in MPlayer SVN.
Reasons
1) too many developers do not care about a Gui
2) it makes it far too easy to use hacks instead of a more "proper"
solution that can be used by all front-ends
3) it is unclear what the goal would be