[MPlayer-dev-eng] [fix] ao_alsa: playing high-res audio

Shane W shane-mplayer at csy.ca
Thu Aug 20 18:22:01 CEST 2009

Hey all,

So I've been wrestling with getting Mplayer to play
high-res audio for a while now and finally got it working.
The problem was I was getting clicking/popping sounds when
playing a 96khz 6channel 24 bit stream in either flac or
wav format. Playing the same stream with aplay (wav) worked
fine.

For these streams, I needed toenable:
#define BUFFERTIME 1
in ao_alsa.c which expanded the buffer sizes appropriately.
# Is there any reason this isn't on by default? If so,
# perhaps the default buffer sizes could be expanded when
# such high bandwidth streams are encountered.

Shane