[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fixes/enhancements to vdpau

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Thu Apr 9 18:47:54 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 08:58 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 05:17 +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 14:56 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> > > is relevant if we ever hope to have those changes merged: experience has
> > > taught me the MPlayer hackers do not like it when patches touch core
> > > areas like timing. :)
> >
> > If you mean the "periodic update" stuff you proposed earlier, there were
> > major reasons not to like that other than "what areas of code it was
> > touching".
>
> What I previously said wasn't a backhanded comment against you.
>
> Let me rephrase the point I was making: in my estimation, the fact that
> it touched core timing code means that you were (rightfully) much more
> critical and skeptical of it.  In contrast, the submission of a new vf,
> say, would very likely undergo less scrutiny because the range of impact
> (or damage) is limited.
>
> In any case, no hard feelings.  I understand now the problems with the
> periodic update stuff, and regardless the whole overlay approach I
> wanted to take is a bit obsolete given what today's hardware can do.

Back then the discussion moved from the timing-related changes to
several other problems in your planned overlay implementation. It ended
after you rejected my proposed implementation method which required some
VO-specific functionality to allow fast overlay updates. You insisted on
a completely VO-independent implementation, an approach which I
considered unreasonable as you were willing to accept more important
drawbacks such as requiring the use of -nodouble. Now you were
complaining about the previous discussion while talking about your new
implementation that not only requires VO-specific support but in fact
only works with one custom VO.