[MPlayer-dev-eng] MNG support for MPlayer

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Sep 15 16:40:29 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 15:44 +0200, Stefan Schuermans wrote:
> Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > Why does this demuxer have a hardcoded framerate? There is the settimer
> > callback which I assume libmng uses to give the real point at which
> > frame content changes. Why are you not using the values from that to
> > determine when to return a frame?
>
> MNG has got a variable framerate (1ms up to multiple seconds per frame)
> and I thought the framerate in MPlayer is fixed once the demuxer has
> been opened. With other words: I did not find out how to change the
> interval after which MPlayer calls the fill_buffer callback. Can you
> point me at some documentation regarding this or at another demuxer that
> does that?

A demuxer stream does not need to have a frame rate. You only need to
set the correct timestamp for the frames (the pts field of demuxer
packets). The changes between timestamps can be arbitrary.

Calls to the fill_buffer callback are not really timed (though they of
course depend somewhat on how often new frames are required). MPlayer
calls it at some point to get the next frame, and then later times the
display of that frame according to the timestamps.