[MPlayer-dev-eng] any start up reading material for integrating a custom-made h.264 video decoder into the mplayer software architecture?

Alex T. W. LEUNG alexleung at astri.org
Wed Sep 10 16:04:10 CEST 2008

Dear MPlayer community members,

I would like to integrate a custom-made h.264 decoder into the current
mplayer software architecture. Therefore, I would like to seek help in
your pointing out some start-up documentations for me to read.

For example, any documents describing the API interface that the mplayer
currently assumes will be tremendously helpful. If there exist any
tutorials that can guide me to integrate a vanilla, hello-world kind of
codec into mplayer, all the better.

My intended use case is to use mplayer to decode h.264 streams coming in
from youtube, by using a custom-made, proprietary h.264 decoder. I am
thinking of writing a wrapper layer between the interface that mplayer
assumes and the API layer of this custom-made decoder. Let me know if
this direction makes sense to you or not.

Thanks to your help, and my gratitude to all the developers who
contribute to the mplayer.

Alex Leung.
P.S. If you are interested in how to feed h.264 streams into mplayer,
the below is my shell script for doing that, enhanced upon the
foundational example --
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPlayer_youtube_script, and
then adding the "fmt=18" magic string:

#!/bin/bash

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
        echo "No URL!"
        exit
fi

url=$1
shift

echo \"http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=`wget -q -O - $url |
grep fullscreenUrl | awk -F'video_id=' '{ print $2 }' | sed -e 's/ /_/g'
| sed -e 's/$/\&fmt=18/' | tr -d \'\; `\" | xargs mplayer $*

This message (including any attachments) is for the named
addressee(s)'s use only. It may contain sensitive, confidential,
private proprietary or legally privileged information intended for a
specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are
not the intended recipient, please immediately delete it and all copies
of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it
and notify the sender. Any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message and/or any attachments is strictly prohibited.