[MPlayer-dev-eng] [bikeshed] Coding style

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 17 10:50:06 CEST 2008

Uoti Urpala wrote:
> By "FFmpeg style" do you mean something different from standard K&R
> style (except for "FFmpeg style" being a lot more vague)? As I wrote
> above the only definition of "FFmpeg style" says it is what is produced
> by "indent -kr", and practice varies. Michael consistently writes some
> things differently (in a way that doesn't match any widely accepted
> standard style I know of), but other FFmpeg authors do not share the
> same deviations.

We could send a patch to have indent -ffmpeg and be done with it, you
know, standards are made, not bestowed upon humanity by $deities

> If you do mean standard K&R style then it's IMO better to call it that.
> If you want to start making exceptions, "K&R except this thing should be
> done a bit differently...", then it's going to exactly the kind of thing
> I think should be avoided. The style doesn't have to be enforced down to
> every detail in every file but any exceptions shouldn't be part of the
> style definition itself.

I want a common ground, everybody here possibly dislikes tabs, prefers 4
space indents over 8 space ones, like to wasting lines with bare {} and
wants to read what's in the code.

We started with a complete anarchy and we see what is the result now,
I'd like to have a medium stance and don't jump to the other side of the
spectrum. Thus I'd like to have a coding style that doesn't hurt our
eyes and yet leaves some degree of freedom (possibly keeping things
consistent per file).

lu

--

Luca Barbato