[MPlayer-dev-eng] recursive make considered harmful

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Jun 3 02:46:30 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 11:52:04PM +0200, Benjamin Zores wrote:
> Benjamin Zores a écrit :
>
> > For sure, I do have more stuff to complain about on Diego's work than on
> > yours for obvious reasons, I barely ever have seen a commit from you.
> > No, in fact, that's not true, looking at MAINTAINERS file, I do have
> > more stuff to complain about on files you maintain than on the one Diego
> > does.
>
> And just to sum up, lookign at MAINTAINERS file, you maintain:
> - XviD codec
>   => we use ffmpeg only and you probably never wrote any code from libxvid

Correct, v[de]_xvid4.c was written by Edouard Gomez, v[de]_xvid.c by
Alban Bedel and Kim Minh Kaplan.

> - vo_xvmc.c
>   => copy/paste of vo_xv.c code, nothing's factorized, full of bugs
>      and crahes with libmenu (but you don't care about as no one ever
>      wrote in rules file that code had to work ...).

This is badly maintained.

The xvmc_render.h header is misplaced at the top of the source tree and
it is duplicated in libavcodec/.  The issue has never been adressed
although pointed out multiple times.

xvmc was never properly hooked up in configure.  It defaults to disabled
waiting for autodetection to be finished since many years.

Documentation describing how to enable it is missing.

Diego