[MPlayer-dev-eng] A/V sync issues or "too many video packets"

Bart de Boer bart at mediawave.nl
Fri Jul 11 09:57:28 CEST 2008

Dear list,

Sorry for posting this here. I know it's a user problem. But it seems
nobody really knows what all the options do exactly. So here's my question:

How do I prevent mencoder from compensating for duplicate frames
(causing A/V desync) without using (buggy?) options like -mc 0 and
-noskip (which cause "too many video packets in the buffer" errors)?

Is it at all possible? I'm trying to come up with a proper commandline
for converting H.264 mkv to mpeg4 divx. But all my attempts (and there
have been many) either cause A/V sync issues or "too many video packets"
errors.

Here's my latest unsuccessful attempt. Basically -mc 0 and -noskip give
me good results for some mkv's (H.264 MKV HDTV recordings). But then
causes "too many video packets" with others (H.264 MKV Blu Ray backups).

nice -n 17 mencoder ${inputFile} \
    -mc 0 \
    -vf softskip,harddup \
    -oac copy \
    -alang eng \
    -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=${vBitrate}:turbo:vpass=1 \
    -ofps 24000/1001 \
    -passlogfile ${logFile} -o /dev/null

nice -n 17 mencoder ${inputFile} \
    -mc 0 \
    -vf softskip,harddup \
    -oac copy \
    -alang eng \
    -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:v4mv:vbitrate=${vBitrate}:vpass=2 \
    -ofps 24000/1001 \
    -passlogfile ${logFile} -o $outputFile

Hope someone can help,

Bart de Boer