[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer Developer Meeting (was: Re: Commit rules and coexistence rules)

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 02:20:50 CEST 2008

On 6/15/08, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:
> Moin people,
>
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:23:45 +0200
> Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> In the cvslog ml you may dig a thread in which we got lots of drama,
>> flames and assorted complaints.
>
> I deliberatly choosed to remain silent in public in this matter
> until now, because i screwed up big time last year in the very
> same issue. But as this continues, i cannot remain silent anymore.
>
> In the beginning, i tried to orchestrate in the background together
> with Diego so that the relevant people would come to an agreement.
> Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances i wasn't able to attend
> to it until the end. Also, for quite some time i didn't want to
> read anything about "Uoti did this" "Diego did that" and all that
> shit. My free time is way to valuable to me than to waste it for
> this kind of unnecessary "controverse", so i didn't read any
> MPlayer mailinglists for months...
> Now, that i thought i might catch up with some of the things that
> went on, i have to say that our attempt to mediate didn't work out.
> The problem persists, the issue is unsolved. It even came to the
> point where i ask myself whether there aren't better things for me
> to do than to waste my time and money for a project that just
> eats itself. The whole issue evolved to a point, where i think it
> is impossible to resolve it trough normal ways anymore. But it is
> imperative for the whole project that these issues get resolved as
> soon as possible.
>
> Hence, i call for a general developer meeting until the end of
> the year to discuss all the issues that piled up over the last
> years and to peacefully resolve them face to face. Eligible is
> anyone who has write access to the svn repository of MPlayer at
> the time of the meeting.
>
> Time and place are to be defined.
> The place should be somewhere in central Europe (most probably
> somewhere in Germany, Switzerland or Austria). The time should
> be as i said until end of this year to not drag this on forever.
>
> For those developers who have troubles to cover the travel expenses
> a donation pool should be opened.
>
> Please answer directly to this mail
> * If you want to participate and in which time range you could
>   join, ie when you'd have time.
> * If you have a suggestion for a place to meet/stay
> * If you want to help organizing this meeting
>
> I will try to coordinate the efforts for this meeting as far
> as possible.

I wanted to give some time to see how this idea
would be accepted by other developers.

So far nobody had even said he finds this idea for good
and nobody have said he'd participate.

I think that it is totally unrealistic to try and bring 50-60
people from all around the world in one place
just to flame each other in person. Especially if you can't
make them spend 5 minutes to write email....

I'm afraid that you will have to resolve the problem
you have created.

The real problem is that you and Diego refuse to
recognize any authority in mplayer.

As there is no authority the project becomes ANARCHY,
that leads into conflicts and tears it apart.

Diego had dismissed all attempts for establishing of new authority.
He didn't recognize any voting as valid, dismissing it by using
twisted merits and random picking or simply ignoring it.
He never supported election of new project leader.

This leaves us with you.

You are the only one left, who can save (or finish) MPlayer.
YOU will have to recognize some kind of authority.