[MPlayer-dev-eng] Regarding x264 decoding optimizations

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Tue Jan 29 18:25:53 CET 2008

RC wrote:
>>Just assign the work of decoding one complete GOP (from one I-frame
>>to the next) to CPU core 1, the next GOP to CPU core 2 etc. to CPU
>>core N.
>
> With x264's default keyint=250, and 8 cores, you're waiting 80
> seconds before playback can start.

It's much more likely that 2 or 3 cores provide enough CPU power
to allow for fluent playing.

Yes, waiting 20 or 30 seconds before the replay starts is annoying,
but may still be very preferable if the alternative is no fluent
replay at all.

And don't forget how many people are willing to watch annoying
"FBI-Warnings" and studio intros on DVDs that are much longer...
without any choice to skip that part.

> Not to mention that multiple
> reference frames (open GOPs) could complicate things much more.

AFAIK the "keyint" parameter refers to closed GOPs, only - otherwise,
jumping to the start of the GOP would be just as complicated.

Regards,

Peter Niemayer