[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make ffmpeg MPEG1/2 decoder the default?

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 18 22:45:55 CET 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> OK, so let's do this properly: We need a standard command line that
> everybody uses for testing, a set of sample files that exercise
> different parts of the decoders and some testing methodology.
>
> I propose the following command lines:
>
> -vc ffmpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo null
> -vc ffmpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo x11
> -vc mpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo null
> -vc mpeg12 -benchmark -nosound -quiet -vo x11

vo x11 is the one that everyone will have in common. Otoh, vo x11 is
slower than h264 decoding, let alone mpeg2. This is not true of xv,
xvidix, xmga, etc.
So I'd argue that if you're including vo for real-world data, then the vo
should be whichever you actually use, i.e. whichever is fastest on your
computer. No need to keep it the same across everyone's tests.

--Loren Merritt