[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio visualization

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Feb 17 20:36:42 CET 2008

Hello,
On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:30:45PM +0100, Alban Bedel wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:51:34 +0100
> Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org> wrote:
> > What's the status of this finally ?
> > Is it planned to get in someday ?
>
> Good question. I think the solution I implemented could be accepted as
> it's not very obstrusive. But as no one commented it is hard to tell.

I assumed that my opinion is clear: A demuxer calling a decoder is a
horrible breaking of layering, and implementing it as vd makes it really
hard to pass any options at all without making everything global
options.
Now a different question is what a nice way to do this would be.
For that part of the question would also be what kind of information
the visualization needs and in which cases it is most important to work.
Since the IMGFMT_AUDIO idea was not liked, a different possibility would
be IMGFMT_GRAY16, where the audio could be placed each channel in one
line. Supporting anything besides s16le and some fixed samplerate would
not (easily, non-hackishly) be possible like this though.
This would need some more changes to mplayer.c though. On the plus side,
it would make things like -vf rgbtest less of a pain to use at the same
time though.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger