[MPlayer-dev-eng] Why no default modern disc playback support?, i.e. Blu-Ray/HD

e-t172 e-t172 at akegroup.org
Fri Feb 15 17:35:41 CET 2008

Igor a écrit :
>> I guess we'll have to wait for performance improvements in ffh264/ffvc1,
>> or PureVideo/Avivo support in ffmpeg. On Windows it is possible to
>> implement GPU acceleration using the Video Acceleration component of
>> DirectX (but as far as I know, no ffmpeg developer is working on this
>> ATM) ; on Linux however, due to the lack of driver support, this is not
>> possible yet - but recent developments such as AMD/ATI releasing
>> specifications for their recent GPUs makes me think this is going to change.
>>

> and what about API for video hardware acceleration under Linux ? is it API exist ?

Yes. http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

However, I don't know anything about the status of this project.

There is also xvmc, which is already usable with mplayer, but it can
only handle MPEG-2 streams. Very few HD is released in MPEG-2. Most HD
streams are H.264 or VC-1.

--
Etienne Dechamps / e-t172 - AKE Group

Website: http://www.e-t172.net/