[MPlayer-dev-eng] Audio visualization

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Feb 5 17:18:12 CET 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 06:47:33PM +0300, Pavel Modilaynen wrote:
> New files:
>   - vz.c/vz.h - main audio visualization functionality (like ad.c,
>   vf.c,.. ), table of visualizers, entries;
>   - vz_xxx.c - visualizer's implementation itself / access to external
>   libs (sticking to the conception of libmpcodecs)

I don't see why you can't just use a normal video filter. Just add a new
IMGFMT_AUDIO or so.

> And functionality might be the following:
>   - in demux_audio.c: demux_audio_open() - check if visualization
>     needed, and call vz_init () which calls appropriate
>      vz_xxx.c: init ()
>   - in demux_audio.c: demux_audio_fill_buffer () - check if
>   visualization was enabled - pass control to vz_process() which
>   calls vz_xxx.c: process ()
> That is intuitively understandable imho.

If you are hacking anyway (and worse, making the demuxer mess with
things is is not supposed to even know about - namely the decoded audio
buffer) you could just as well place those hacks in mplayer.c, copying
the audio data as input to the video filter chain.

> I do not want to mess the MPlayer code, and my proposals I think is
> a minimal harm for this great benefit that this feature gives.
> But what do fathers of MPlayer developers think about it?

Well, I can overcome my personal opinions if necessary, but my honest
and personal opinion is that it is a (if done right only small) mess for
a useless feature ;-)
Keep in mind that it is "MPlayer - The Movie Player" :-)

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger