[MPlayer-dev-eng] Need a guide to implement a codec library using hardware video codec

Lee Kwangwoo kwlee at mtekvision.com
Mon Apr 14 07:04:38 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm porting the mplayer with a hardware video codec in a SoC.
It is capable of decoding H.264 and MPEG4. It can also encode frame with
such formats.

In the libmpcodecs/vd.c you explicitly note a comment - "do not add any
new decoders here" for mpcodes_vd_drivers[]. So if I use the
libavcodec/h264.c, should I replace that file with my own decoder file
or add feature to support a hardware decoder with a define macro?

I think that I need to replace the functions, for example -
decode_nal_units(), because the hardware decoder requires one frame
starting with nal header and output a decoded YUV420 frame.

Any comments and guide will be very helpful.
Thank you,

Kwangwoo Lee