[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 29 12:03:18 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 09:30:15PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:38:55AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi

> > > AFAIR the libavformat AVI demuxer does not support noninterleaved AVI
> > > files.
> >
> > who is spreading that lie?
> > of course does the lavf demuxer support non interleved AVI
>
> How does this work? Does it continually seek back and forth?

yes

> It sounds
> like the dual demuxer instance idea I proposed would be a better way
> to handle NI files..

maybe, this all depends on the OS and the AVProtocol implementation and
other related things ...
a well written os will detect the
multiple chains of sequential reads and read ahead a lot more into a cache
a not so well written OS would still always read ahead a little, and a OS
which doesnt read ahead at all will be very slow for many more things
than just this case here

so for lavf alone there really isnt much of a problem with the design
the problem mainly appears with mplayers cache which AFAIK always reads
ahead alot but then always flushes this during seeks?
i think fixing the cache so it can keep 2+ instead of 1 block would be
a better solution
but i dont know the mplayer cache code at all so maybe iam wrong ...

also besides all this, opening things multiple times will cause problems
with some ftp and http servers which have limits on the number of concurrent
connections
and 2 demuxers will consume more resources (memory mainly) than 1

and all that for files which are rare and which one could consider broken

but noone stops you from implementing support in demux_lavf.c to open
a file n times for n streams

[...]

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle