[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

A Mennucc debdev at tonelli.sns.it
Wed Sep 19 12:39:06 CEST 2007

hi,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 07:57:22PM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> I wonder why are we trying to maintain a badly outdated debian directory ?
> The official debian package has a much better and up-to-date one.
> IMO, we should simply rm the whole debian directory. If some people insist
> on having it in our repository, then we should at least re-base it
> on latest official one :
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mplayer/mplayer_1.0~rc1-16.diff.gz

As a line of principle, I agree  :-)
[For the record : I take care of that Debian package.]

On the up side, by using that, you also have template translations in
many languages "for free".

One complaint Diego had in the past w.r.t my debian/ is the debconf
question about RTC ; but I recently decided that I will remove it.

Beware though that my debian/ dir will not work "out of the box" with
the original mplayer.

Let me be more precise.

My debian/rules can be used to produce many different packages. One
example is re: build options and optimization. Indeed
$ fakeroot debian/rules binary
will generate a standard mplayer package for the current architecture;
a sort of "common denominator" that (hopefully) should please
all standard Debian users (and hosts :-).

For example, I recently had to address a problem
with alpha architectures, so I had to add a small patch to configure:
see debian bug 431139 .

If instead a enduser calls
$ fakeroot debian/rules DEB_BUILD_CONFIGURE="" binary
then teh configure options are autodetected during compilation; thus
users can get a better performance if they rebuild this package
themselves.

Another issue is wrt docs : the official releases, such as
rc1 , ship the HTML docs ; whereas SVN does not ; so my
debian/rules tries to adapt.

If you wish, I will send you some emails explaing some of the patches,
that I prepared, so we may discuss their inclusion into mainstream
mplayer.  (Actually, I did want to send those emails before rc2 , so
now is really the time).
Eventually we may so include my debian/ dir in the next rc2.

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc

"The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell
me what I can't do, and the GPL sounds like it was written by a human
being who wants me to know what I can do."
Anonymous,    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420