[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] rc2 at the beginning of October

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer bero at arklinux.org
Tue Sep 18 18:22:39 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007, Roberto Togni wrote:
> Any comments on MPlayer status? Known breakages and
> regressions?

Given rc2 will probably be around for a long time (at least if the interval
between the various -pre releases and -rc1 and now -rc2 is any indication),
gcc 4.3 will probably be released before the next mplayer - so it can't hurt
to be compatible with it.

Right now, building mplayer with gcc 4.3 snapshots results in

libavcodec/libavcodec.a(mpeg12.o): In function `mpeg_decode_slice':
mpeg12.c:(.text+0x157c): undefined reference to `XVMC_init_block'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(snow.o): In function `encode_q_branch':
snow.c:(.text+0xacb2): undefined reference to `ff_epzs_motion_search'
snow.c:(.text+0xad8d): undefined reference to `ff_get_mb_score'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It looks like gcc 4.3 is kicking functions that are declared "inline" when
they can't be inlined because the code isn't available at link time - I've
attached an obvious (but probably suboptimal) patch that makes it work.

It probably doesn't hurt performance on older compilers because I'd guess they
just ignore an "inline" statement when the code can't be inlined, but I
didn't run any benchmarks on it yet.