[MPlayer-dev-eng] future plans for libvo draw_osd()

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Thu May 24 23:55:39 CEST 2007

On Friday 25 May 2007, Richard Lee wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> A few days ago, I posted a message wondering about the future of libvo
> draw_osd() and the appropriate way to write a custom OSD overlay.  I was
> hoping that someone could point me at the owner of this API so that I
> can understand how to make use of it in a forward-looking way.  Any takers?

Have a look at EOSD (grep in libmpcodecs). It supports color and, imho, is
better designed. It is used to display subtitles with libass. The old
subtitle code, which draw_osd() is part of, is currently unmaintained.

You can try EOSD by writing a function that will produce a list of ass_image_t
structs, calling it whenever ass_render_frame is called (there are 2 places,
in vf_ass.c and vf_vo.c), and joining the lists.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.