[MPlayer-dev-eng] [OT] was "[patch] prefer ALSA over OSS" a long time ago

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat May 5 10:17:18 CEST 2007

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 09:39:14AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 02:43:20AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> > > to run at 320x200 with soft 3d and running it at 1600x1200 with 3d
> > > accel just shifts the "offensively" bad resolution from an issue of
> >
> > I know only one example of this, quake in 320x200 vs. glquake ;) Second
> > one looks much better.
> >
> > > pixel resolution to an issue of polygon resolution. That is, instead
> > > of seeing pixels glaring at you, you see polygons glaring at you.
> >
> > Textures and polygon edges will be smoothed at least..
>
> Hm. With good old CRTs they are smoothed in a much better-looking way
> though... The worst about old games is the absolutely horrible texture
> resolution, and whatever smoothing or whatever you do it will remain
> horrible :-(. Good point in favour of games like Baldurs Gate, the
> "hand-drawn" stuff doesn't start looking quite as horrible over time
> ;-).

Indeed, 3d is the bane of gaming. It makes everything look like crap
(not to mention all games look the same) and it's just an excuse for
artists to be lazy and not draw cool game art anymore because they can
get by with making one model instead of hundreds of individual
animation frames. I'm glad I don't play computer games anymore... if I
did it would be depressing.

Rich