[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri May 4 23:05:02 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 10:23:27PM +0200, Zsolt Barat wrote:
> >> do you really think SCO-UNIX(UnixWare) will rule the world? in company
> >> with OSS?
> >
> > You're living in the early 90's. UNIX is a trademark of the Open Group
> > and used to significy systems which are certified to conform to the
> > Single Unix Specification. Or, more practically, it refers either to
> so, you are a fan of AIX on the desktop right ;).

Of course not. I'm not a fan of AIX, or any proprietary software, in
any setting. I'm also not a fan of "the desktop". Using this phrase is
a sure way to get me to discount your opinions.

> SUS compilant UNIX systems: AIX, HP/UX, SCO, Solaris, True64UNIX
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification

Yes there's plenty of corruption. Whoever pays gets certification even
if their system is hopelessly broken and nonconformant according to
technical arguments. Nonetheless, trying to establish an agreement on
what commonalities you can and cannot expect between unices is a very
good thing.

> > s/nice clean/ and you're right. But the whole problem is that the OS
> > interface should NOT be a multimedia lib. Leave stuff like that to SDL
> > and don't force people who don't want that crap to use it. I'm so sick
> > of windows idiots coming over to linux and imposing the "everything is
> > a library" philosophy. GO BACK TO WINDOWS AND LEAVE US THE @#*$ ALONE!
> >
> so at the end if you see your battle lost you are trying to insult
> people. i don't know whom you are reffering to in this outbreak, if you
> mean me i just can dissapoint you in this regard. i never advocated an
> "everything is a library" approach and don't know about a special
> windows-philosophy.

Well you just called it "nice" and "clean". IMO that qualifies as
advocating it...

> http://4front-tech.com/hannublog/?cat=2
> quoting hannu, the masterbrain of oss:
> "This is the good news. The bad news is that there is no MIDI support in
> OSS 4.0. There are few bugs in the MIDI code and we decided to ship OSS
> 4.0 without it (instead of delaying release of the other parts that were
> ready). MIDI support will be included in OSS 4.1 (hopefully within this
> year)."

For the Nth time now, PLEASE stop confusing OSS (the API) with
4front's driver implementations. These are two separate things
entirely and the blog you quote is about 4front's implementation. What
you're doing is equivalent to complaining the X sucks because XFree86
or X.org is a bad implementation.

> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/24/37

And here you made exactly the same mistake again, but with OSS/Free
instead of 4front. You're confusing the API with drivers. I couldn't
care less which drivers or what internal driver API Linux uses as long
as the external userspace API is OSS.

Rich