[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Zsolt Barat zsolt at bbm.de
Fri May 4 17:36:15 CEST 2007

Rich Felker schrieb:
>> audio devices but can't catch up with soundsystems we have nowadays, at
>> least it didn't. it is like saying: "let's go back to a drivermodel for
>> monochrome displays, because it's so simple and fits so well into the
>> unix philosophy of device access"
>> First of all, UNIX is dead and OSS is dead. We don't have to discuss it,
>
> If you claim this then your opinion is utterly irrelevant to me.
do you really think SCO-UNIX(UnixWare) will rule the world? in company
with OSS?

>> it's just a fact. We have three UNIX systems today GNU/LINUX, Apple and
>> Sun. Nothing stops them (sun/apple) to port and support ALSA to their
>> systems.
to clarify this. i meant gnu/linux, mac os x and solaris are the leading
unix-*like* systems but they have not so much in common with the
unix-world of the eighties, you are advocating here.
true they are mostly posix-konform, even mac-osx is certified as
POSIX-compatible, but there are many extensions and requierements which
couldn't be really described by the POSIX standard.

> 1. ALSA sucks. It's a horrible API.
> 2. Stupid vendors (GNU/Linux included!) are always making their own
> nonstandard crap instead of following open standards. This is yet
> another example.
> 3. Vendors (GNU/Linux included!) are full of NIH-syndrome and will not
> accept others' APIs/designs even if they are good. They'd rather make
> their own crap.
you are repeating your opinion without arguments steadyli like a little
child. ALSA has an nice clean API based on functions like other
multimedia-libs. OSS was never a standard, some unix-like systems just
used it.
in contrast OSS sucks and has a bad API.
furtheron:
1. it doesn't support hardware-midi
2. it doesn't support hardware-mixing of different audio-channels
3. it doesn't support usb-audio devices, no bluetooth-audio
4. almost zero driver support for common hardware

>> They simply don't want it because they are afraid of the GPL.
>> At least it is true that there will be no way back OSS, and OSS will be
>> removed from the kernel soon (or it is allready?). Using the
>> oss-emulation-layer of ALSA just for protest is really braindead.
>
> No it's not. And it will never be removed. Even Linux 1.0 syscalls are
> still supported because they're needed to run applications. How would
> you propose running ancient Linux binaryware games without OSS api in
> the kernel?? (I don't want to run them but I'm sure plenty of people
> do.)
puh, ähm, "ancient Linux binaryware games"?? rich, c'mon! you are getting
older or out of arguments.

best

zsolt