[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Fri May 4 01:45:20 CEST 2007

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2007.05.03 at 18:54:44 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > I know that it's possible, and sometimes it's desired. However, when
> > there already is alsa library, what's the point of going back to kernel
> > calls which just would be routed back to that alsa library? It only
> > increases complexity, slowdowns and gives less features.
>
> Decreases complexity. Massively.

You mean that ioctl calls with different arguments are so much better
than several library calls? And for that you want to imply such an ugly
hack on linux kernel? I beg to differ..

> > Of course, if no alsa existed, most safe way to introduce "sound
> > plugins" and other stuff would be such interface. But now, when alsa is
> > dominating.. why bother?
>
> Because ALSA IS FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG.

May be, but everything else works worse.

> > Honestly, unix rights aren't working well for audio, with all that pam
> > chmod/chown stuff which gains nothing but some compatiblity so that unix
> > rights won't get in the way..
> Then your system was broken. They work exactly right. chmod is
> idiotic; just use proper group semantics and add a "hangup" ioctl if
> you need it.

Huh?

I was talking about the usual system where /dev/dsp device ownership is
changed to the first user who logged it. If someone at your home logged
in in console, you won't be able to get audio device ownership after
logging in X. Well, other hacks around this problem exist, like "audio"
group and such, but they all are just a hacks made in order to stop unix
rights system interfering with desire to play music.

> Yes they do. ncurses is a huge waste AND a huge pain; directly using
> terminfo is much easier and halves memory usage.

Oh.
(You don't need to answer this on other mail now)

ncurses is a huge pain, but at least it helps. Throwing away a helping
hand just because you don't like it.. well.. you'll drown.

--

Vladimir