[MPlayer-dev-eng] What is policy for changing message levels?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Mar 19 13:24:23 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 18:06 +0600, Vladimir Voroshilov wrote:
> Is changing message level from MSGL_V to MSGL_WARN in attached patch safe ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "safe". Anyway this seems to be a case
where an option from the user is considered to be bogus and ignored,
which certainly should at least give a visible warning rather than just
-v level output, so this change seems correct.

> svn-howto.txt says only about MSGL_INFO level.

If you mean the "likely to be controversial" part, I think whoever added
that was mainly thinking of previous disagreements about how much output
MPlayer should generate by default (like whether vo colorspace used
should always be shown in default output or only belongs to -v output,
things like that).