[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] threaded decoding/filtering

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:17:51 CET 2007

2007/2/27, Robert Millan <rmh at aybabtu.com>:

> Hi!
>
> I'm in the middle of implementing support for threaded decoding/filtering
> to take the most advantage of my dual-core processor (with -vo x11 -zoom).
> My idea was to split decode_video into a function for decoding, a function
> for filtering, and the timing stuff that would be moved to the core loop.
>
> However, then I noticed this:
>
>   http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design5/konf2002-arpi.html
>
> which seems to indicate such feature is not welcome.  OTOH, the paper is
> from 2002 and things have changed.  Linux 2.6 makes threading cheaper and
> most new desktops come with at least two cores.  I think this would make
> such feature desirable.
>
> Any comments?  Are you interested?

There is a developer who forked MPlayer and added threading support.
The project is still maintained under the name MPlayerXP on
sourceforge.net site.

Threading support is quite hard subject.
Whatever solution you may have in mind you should know that MPlayer
should remain single threaded on uniprocessor machines.