[MPlayer-dev-eng] GUI

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 22 12:49:52 CET 2007

Hi

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:31:14AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 04:16:39AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:04:55PM +0100, Roberto Togni wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Not only the GUI...
> > >
> > > On IRC me (and others, as I understand by reading the list) asked you
> > > to post a patch and give the GUI devels some time to prepare a patch
> > > (at least the windows GUI is actively mantained). That would have also
> > > enabled other people to test the patch before committing it.
> > >
> > > Also the fear that other thins may be broken after such big patch were
> > > true.
> > >
> > > I understand that maintaining big patches for some time requires some
> > > effort, but any other developer does it too. And most of the file you
> > > touched does not change often.
> > >
> > > As a final problem, the commit was wrong: it moved a lot of code to new
> > > files without using svn cp, and reformatted it too (you should know
> > > that MPlayer devs are quite sensitive to cosmetic changes).
> > >
> > > I haven't checked the technical details of the patch yet, so I can't
> > > comment on them now.
> > >

> > > I'm for reverting this asap as long as it's easy to do it (before people
> > > start to commit hacks to fix compilation), and recommit it properly only
> > > when all major issues are fixed.
> >
> > as i already said on cvslog i also very strongly vote for reverting, that
> > makes 3 votes for reversal (ivan, you and me) and no votes against it,
> > i dont count uau because his oppinion is highly biased as it is his commit
>
> I think I can fix this without reversal.  I'll look into it later today.

not again :((((((
you cannot fix this without breaking the repo

1. the commit mixed cosmetics and functional changes it must be changed
into >1 commits, svn doesnt support such edits without randomizing revision
numbers and consequently causing problems for everyone
2. there wont be proper svnlog messages (looking/searchng svnlog will not
show whats in svn but rather something else)

this really is just a few minutes work to revert and then let uau either
recommit after disscussion and split of the changes or disagree with the
rules and fork or last option ignore the rules again and loose his account

[...]

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras