[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: support https: URLs

sci-fi at hush.ai sci-fi at hush.ai
Mon Feb 12 14:03:10 CET 2007

On 2007-02-11 15:11:21 -0600, Nico Sabbi <nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it> said:
> Andrew Savchenko wrote:
>> On 11 Feb 2007 14:42 Nico Sabbi wrote:
>>> Mplayer _CAN_NOT_ fork

english nit:
sure it CAN ... but WILL the project-owners here ALLOW it to fork are the
proper words to use ... ;)

>> I'm just curious, but *why*?
>> fork() is POSIX-compilant function, and moreover it is already used in
>> mplayer, e.g. in cache2 code.
>
> because it's ugly, creates a mess, prevents certain things from working
> (e.g. certain features of dvd://, dvdnav:// and maybe more are not
> available)

another nit here:
who would use https:// on DVDs & such for cryin' out loud?  ;)
and on a similar but stronger note:
when will his patch ever do a fork() for DVDs & such?  ;)
I just love how extraneous topic matter gets hijacked on some of these
discussions.  ;)
... sorry ...  ;)

> and as you have seen it's not completely portable among the
> architectures we support (cache2 uses a different method for win32
> platforms).
> It also uses much more memory than available and works behind the back
> of mplayer (never a good thing, I wonder if it's even easily
> exploitable).
> Since https:// can be implememted with library calls there's not
> a single reason to fork the main process.

for the original patcher:
has anyone seen what other apps do to support https:// already?
not sure, but doesn't VLC support it already?
is there such a feed publicly & consistently available for us to test with?
thanks.