[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Wed Feb 7 15:57:08 CET 2007

Dnia Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:31:09 -0500
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> napisał(a):
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:24:46AM +0100, Adam Tlałka wrote:

> > Why in X Windows? It should be more generic app state.
>
> No, this is the mistake the GNOME folks are making. There is no such
> thing as a generic app because the app could be anywhere on the planet
> or beyond, not just on the same host!! Any local method is
> fundamentally flawed because it cannot account for this. We're talking
> about an _X_ _screensaver_ here, so the method of disabling it must go
> through the X protocol, not out-of-band local channels.

OK so generating  hidden mouse pointer movements using
XWarpPointer(3X11) function to avoid screensaver activation sticks to
this conditions and should solve problems with different desktop
environments and X11 DPMS without additional changes or rewrites of
them.

Later it can be replaced by setting some EWMH property respected by
screensavers and Xserver itself.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka       mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^