[MPlayer-dev-eng] liba52 reorganization

Alex Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 22:52:30 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 20:35 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> well it depends on what you want, if you want to get the changes into
> main liba52 then you should disscuss this with the liba52 developers not
> with us mplayer developers, as we dont have write access to the upstream
> liba52 and cant help you with getting patches accepted there
>
> if OTOH the liba52 developer(s) reject your changes and you want us to
> accept them in mplayer svn then you of course  will have to provide us
> with patches against what we currently have in svn, that could be
> first a diff which updates our stuff to upstream liba52 and then several
> which cleanup our optimizations

I'm shooting for both, ideally ;) but I'm not too picky as to the order
in which those happen.  Yes, I have been discussing these with liba52
developers for some time.

Looks like mplayer liba52 is already updated to the latest upstream
(0.7.4).  This is relatively recent.  Big thank you! to whoever did
that.  So nothing to do there.

The diffs between the major new files and the original files the code
came from look like this (count of = same  + added  - removed lines,
mplayer svn versus patched a52dec-0.7.4):

mplayer/liba52/downmix.c a52dec-0.7.4/liba52/downmix_sse.c
  = 328  +  32  -1494 lines
mplayer/liba52/downmix.c a52dec-0.7.4/liba52/downmix_3dnow.c
  = 435  +  17  -1387 lines
mplayer/liba52/imdct.c a52dec-0.7.4/liba52/imdct_sse.c
  = 475  +  19  - 837 lines
mplayer/liba52/imdct.c a52dec-0.7.4/liba52/imdct_altivec.c
  = 368  +   9  - 944 lines
mplayer/liba52/imdct_3dnow.h a52dec-0.7.4/liba52/imdct_3dnow.c
  = 541  +  91  -  25 lines

There are a few other odds and ends.  These are as you can see just
copies of a chunk of code out of one file into a new file, the added
stuff is headers, and the "removed" stuff is simply the code that didn't
get copied.  I can send you a whole bunch of diffs for each of those if
you want but if you apply the big patch to an upstream a52dec it is easy
to diff them locally.   Let me know if you want those.

Regards,
--Alex