[MPlayer-dev-eng] Compile options

Fredrik Smedberg fredrik at cute.se
Fri Sep 15 21:14:52 CEST 2006

Hi!

First of all, I have a 64-bit system running on an Athlon64.

After I've ran "./configure" and did "make" MPlayer of course starts
compiling. The thing is that among the many compiler options the source
is compiled with these (among many more options of course):

-O4 -march=k8 -mtune=k8

What I don't get is why -O4? Isn't -O3 the highest optimize option gcc
have? I've also heard a lot of people give the advice to use -O2 because
-O3 many times generate slower code than -O2? -march=k8 -mtune=k8 is
even stranger. At least with gcc 4.1.* -march implies mtune. Why use
both when only -march is needed? Wouldn't it be cleaner with a
./configure check like: if "gcc version > some version" -> only use -march ?

Best regards,
Fredrik Smedberg